About the Role
We are looking for structural design engineers to help us as independent contractors to get our unique and visionary partial vacuum lift demonstrator aerostat off the ground, then immediately transition into design and production mode for commercial aerostats along our R&D journey towards cargo airships.
- Design, analysis, development, and testing of primary and secondary aircraft airframe or sub system structures
- Generate or modify 3-D models, component drawings, assembly drawings, and interface control documents
- Generate or update documentation for assembly and testing of development and flight hardware.
- Participate in subsystem level testing including planning, execution, data reduction and analysis.
- Work with multi-functional teams across multiple work sites that include design, analysis, materials, processes, structures, fluids, systems, procurement and manufacturing.
- We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to have a positive impact. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
Remote work is possible, but collaboration is key. We are currently working out of a really fun and funky co-warehousing space in Raleigh, NC, The Loading Dock.
B.S. degree or higher (or equivalent experience) in mechanical, structural, or other relevant engineering field.
2+ years of professional engineering experience.
Strong fundamentals in mechanics of materials, stress/strain, and statics
Familiarity with commercially available finite element software (Fusion 360)
Experience designing, analyzing, and testing large primary or secondary structures
Experience with composite material selection, compatibility and manufacturing techniques & product forms.
Familiarity with tolerance, GD&T and design for manufacturability.
Strong mechanical design and integration skills using 3D CAD software.
Hands on experience with hardware “on the production floor” and/or “in service”
Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
You shall at all times act and perform services as an independent contractor and we shall neither have nor exercise any control or direction over the method or manner by which you perform services. You shall exercise your best efforts to complete those tasks described herein and otherwise reasonably contemplated and shall further carry-out the services specified herein according to ordinary business custom and according to all relevant federal, state and local laws. You agree to cooperate with us in the enforcement of policies and procedures to assure continued compliance with any applicable laws.
About the Company
We are a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization, committed to the triple bottom line of people, planet and profit - above and beyond an equal opportunity employer. Our vision of decarbonizing long-haul, heavy-lift transportation informs everything we do.
We are also committed to transparent and fair compensation, eliminating bias from the equation.
As an early-stage pre-funding startup, we can only offer equity at this time, and that equity will be commensurate with what your salary plus benefits would be in an employment context plus a risk factor depending on how much time you can commit to us. Equity will be earned based on hours, so it's in your hands.